Thursday, April 30, 2015

Eunuchs of the Lord

I was thinking about Bruce Jenner who has recently been in the media regarding his transformation from living life as a male to living life as a female.
My heart was moved for him as I have been seeing articles on the front of magazines about him feeling suicidal.
I thought how difficult it must be to feel like you are so out of place; how not just other people's expectations but your OWN expectations are so frustrated and confused. The anger, the fear, the doubting.
I then began to direct my attention more towards what the Lord may make of this.

Thoughts began to come to me that maybe him and others like him were meant to be eunuchs for the Lord.
Matthew 19:12 from the KJV says:

For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Could it be that some of the men who feel they are born the wrong gender are actually experiencing,  from birth, the lack of male testosterone that would allow them to be attracted to women? And then, because there is no one to teach them of these things, all they can do is accept the cultural understanding that something has gone wrong and now they must 'fix' themselves.

I'm sure the evil one pounces on these type of men and brings spirits of homosexual lust to help encourage them in that direction.

As I was still thinking, the thought came, 'so where are these eunuchs today? Surely it just wasn't a situation that would be present in Paul's time?'

In talking to my husband, he said these may be the monks of today. I rejoined that what about those 'religions' that don't have places where men can cloister themselves off - like in the Protestant denominations? What happens to those men? And is it even right for those who ARE a part of monastic building communities, to live in such separated ways?

Then he reminded me that many of those DO volunteer and serve selflessly in their communities.
It seems so distant though, to me at least, for those of us who are not in the faiths that offer that type
of outlet for men.

 The many, many unmarried women in the body of Christ would seem to need the help of these 'eunuchs' without fear of the relationship turning inappropriate. Married men are often so busy with their own families or feel things could be 'weird' when it comes to helping the unmarried women.
How wonderful it would be for those women to have the strength, help, and male insight that these men could provide!

These are only musings. I am asking the Lord if I am thinking correctly. I so far have not received any 'confirming' external witness(es) so all I can think is that maybe this isn't right and that there is something else going on with these men that I don't understand.
But still, what of 'eunuchs from birth' and those who have made themselves 'eunuchs for the kingdoms sake'? Where are they in the Protestant community of believers?

Reveal your thoughts on this my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment